Tackling Indigenous Smoking Educator (OVAHS)
- Rewarding opportunity to make a real difference and help 'Close the Gap' in Aboriginal health!
- Highly attractive remuneration package circa $80,000 + salary sacrificing options
- Great benefits including annual airfares, accommodation allowance and 5 weeks’ annual leave
About the Organisation
The Ord Valley Aboriginal Health Service (OVAHS) is a community controlled primary health care service. It provides culturally appropriate curative and public health services for Indigenous people in and around the town of Kununurra which is situated in the East Kimberley.
Preventative and public health programs include GP clinics, maternal and child health, women’s and men’s health, chronic disease, sexual health, mental health and drug and alcohol. Staff include doctors, Aboriginal health workers, registered nurses, health promotional workers and allied health professionals.
About the Opportunity
Ord Valley Aboriginal Health Service (OVAHS) is seeking a Tackling Indigenous Smoking Educator to join their team on a full-time basis in Kununurra, WA.
Reporting to the Health Operations Manager, you will be working closely with the East Kimberley Tackling Indigenous Smoking team to deliver on the TIS Activity plan for the Kununurra Region.
More specifically, you will be:
- Developing, implementing and evaluating smoking cessation education activities and resources;
- Delivering an outcomes based smoking cessation program which is meaningful, appropriate and aligned to meeting the needs of the Kununurra region;
- Providing and recording activities that meet the TIS work plan and funding criteria;
- Working in partnership with other TIS Educator to expand the program and provide education to a variety of age groups and target groups; and
- Working as part of the OVAHS team in providing a quality and client focused environment.
To view the full position description, please click here.
To be considered for this position you will hold tertiary qualifications in health promotion, community development, social work, education or similar and have demonstrated experience working constructively with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people and/or communities.
In addition, you will be confident in your ability to facilitate outcome based group education sessions within a variety of community settings and have the ability to develop smoking cessation resources in keeping with national best practice guidelines.
Importantly, OVAHS is looking for someone with good interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills who has a sound knowledge and understanding of the issues impacting on the mental health and wellbeing of Aboriginal people.
Please note: In addition to the above skills and experience, the successful candidate will require a Current “C” class drivers licence, and either hold or be willing to obtain a National Police Clearance and Working with Children clearance prior to commencement.
About the Benefits
OVAHS offers a stable, safe and supportive work environment with GP's, Nurses, Aboriginal Health Workers, SEWB workers, Health Promotion Officers, Family Support Workers, and Allied Health Workers.
OVAHS is an organisation that truly values its team, and is committed to improving employee knowledge, skills and experience.
In return for your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with an attractive remuneration package circa $80,000 commensurate with skills and experience.
You will also have access to a range of great additional benefits to further increase your take home pay including:
- Generous salary packaging options
- Annual airfares after 12 months of employment up to $1,800 p/a
- Accommodation allowance of $125 p/w
- 5 weeks annual leave
- Electricity subsidy of $1,140 p/a
People of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent are strongly encouraged to apply.
Don't miss out on the chance to develop your skills, advance your career and enhance your cultural knowledge in a stunning outback location. Make a positive difference - Apply Now!
Please note: Candidates must respond to the questions below and attach a current resume to be considered.
Candidates MUST be Australian Citizens or Permanent Residents and/or the right to live and work in Australia, as OVAHS does not undertake sponsorships.
Please fill out you Personal Details below.